You have probably heard about the kilobytes, megabytes, gigabytes, and terabytes. These are the few fundamental units that individuals may have gone through. What about the petabytes, exabytes, zettabytes, and so on?
With the increase in the popularity and easy accessibility of the internet, the customers’ digital footprints over the internet have accelerated. It is believed that over 2.5 quintillion bytes (2.5 e+9 GB) of the data is created every day, and this number is in increasing order. Interestingly, it is said that over 90% of these data are collected within just the past 5 years.
- More than 50% of the web queries over the internet are searched using smartphones.
- It is estimated that more than 4.39 billion people all across the globe are connected to the internet so far.
- Google, the popular search engine process about 4.5 million searches every second. The figure would be equivalent to 6.4 billion searches per day.
- Besides Google, other search engines are also contributing in a significant manner. Other search engines process around 2 billion queries.
Social media is the real fuel of the data. The chunk of data collected from it is so massive than any other medium.
- Around 1 million people logins to Facebook in one minute.
- Tentatively 120 professionals join to Linked in every minute.
- 4,500,000 videos are streamed over YouTube every 60 seconds
- Every minute, 511,200 tweets are tweeted on Twitter.
- 55,140 photos are shared on Instagram each minute, which has obtained a growth rate of 12% compared to 2018.
The data trail left behind while using your favorite communication medium. The volume of data collected through it every minute is incredible.
- More than 1.4 million Tinder’s swipes are performed.
- The number of emails sent throughout the globe is approximately 188,000,000.
- Around 231,840 calls are made through the skype.
- The GIF sent throughout the internet is around 4.8 million.
The statistics coming out from the services and business background is quite interesting. An increase in the number of consumers had really made some services as the platform-driven economy. Here are some numbers that are generated every minute.
- Venmo measures $162.037 shared exchanges
- 17,222 uber rides are accepted.
- Over 390,030 apps are downloaded from the various app store
- The viewership of Netflix over 614%. The streaming hours per minute for Netflix is in-between 97,222 – 694, 444
- Airbnb coupled 1,389 individuals to homes and apartments across the world.
Note: The data are presented in the 7th edition report of Data Never Sleeps.